Resident dermal DCs
“Inflammatory” dermal DCs
- Zaba L.C.
- Fuentes-Duculan J.
- Eungdamrong N.J.
- Abello M.V.
- Novitskaya I.
- Pierson K.
- et al.
- Zaba L.C.
- Fuentes-Duculan J.
- Eungdamrong N.J.
- Abello M.V.
- Novitskaya I.
- Pierson K.
- et al.
- Engel D.
- Dobrindt U.
- Tittel A.
- Peters P.
- Maurer J.
- Gutgemann I.
- et al.
- Haider A.S.
- Lowes M.A.
- Suarez-Farinas M.
- Zaba L.C.
- Cardinale I.
- Khatcherian A.
- et al.
- Migratory dendritic cells transfer antigen to a lymph node-resident dendritic cell population for efficient CTL priming.Immunity. 2006; 25: 153-162
- Cutting edge: CD1a+ antigen-presenting cells in human dermis respond rapidly to CCR7 ligands.J Immunol. 2006; 176: 5730-5734
- CD14+ antigen-presenting cells in human dermis are less mature than their CD1a+ counterparts.Int Immunol. 2007; 19: 1271-1279
- CD1 antigen presentation: how it works.Nat Rev Immunol. 2007; 7: 929-941
- Inducible ablation of mouse Langerhans cells diminishes but fails to abrogate contact hypersensitivity.J Cell Biol. 2005; 169: 569-576
- Identification of a radio-resistant and cycling dermal dendritic cell population in mice and men.J Exp Med. 2006; 203: 2627-2638
- Studies on human epidermal Langerhans cells. I. Allo-activating and antigen-presenting capacity.Scand J Immunol. 1980; 11: 401-408
- Identification of a novel population of Langerin+ dendritic cells.J Exp Med. 2007; 204: 3147-3156
- Altered expression and endocytic function of CD205 in human dendritic cells, and detection of a CD205-DCL-1 fusion protein upon dendritic cell maturation.Immunology. 2007; 120: 362-371
- The lymphoid past of mouse plasmacytoid cells and thymic dendritic cells.J Immunol. 2003; 170: 4926-4932
- Impaired Langerhans cell migration in psoriasis.J Exp Med. 2006; 203: 953-960
- Mouse lymphoid tissue contains distinct subsets of langerin/CD207 dendritic cells, only one of which represents epidermal-derived Langerhans cells.J Invest Dermatol. 2005; 125: 983-994
- Critical role of IL-12 in dendritic cell-induced differentiation of naive B lymphocytes.J Immunol. 1998; 161: 2223-2231
- BDCA-2, BDCA-3, and BDCA-4: three markers for distinct subsets of dendritic cells in human peripheral blood.J Immunol. 2000; 165: 6037-6046
- Expression of C-type lectin receptors by subsets of dendritic cells in human skin.Int Immunol. 2004; 16: 877-887
- Tumor necrosis factor alpha- and inducible nitric oxide synthase-producing dendritic cells are rapidly recruited to the bladder in urinary tract infection but are dispensable for bacterial clearance.Infect Immun. 2006; 74: 6100-6107
- C-type lectin receptors on dendritic cells and Langerhans cells.Nat Rev Immunol. 2002; 2: 77-84
- Blood-derived dermal langerin+ dendritic cells survey the skin in the steady state.J Exp Med. 2007; 204: 3133-3146
- Langerhans cells arise from monocytes in vivo.Nat Immunol. 2006; 7: 265-273
- A monoclonal antibody to the DEC-205 endocytosis receptor on human dendritic cells.Hum Immunol. 2000; 61: 729-738
- Major differences in inflammatory dendritic cells and their products distinguish atopic dermatitis from psoriasis.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007; 119: 1210-1217
- Identification of cellular pathways of “Type 1,” Th17 T cells, and TNF- and inducible nitric oxide synthase-producing dendritic cells in autoimmune inflammation through pharmacogenomic study of cyclosporine A in psoriasis.J Immunol. 2008; 180: 1913-1920
- The dermal dendrocyte.Adv Dermatol. 1986; 1: 159-171
- Two distinct activation states of plasmacytoid dendritic cells induced by influenza virus and CpG 1826 oligonucleotide.J Leukoc Biol. 2008; 83: 610-620
- Plasmacytoid dendritic cells regulate Th cell responses through OX40 ligand and type I IFNs.J Immunol. 2004; 172: 4253-4259
- Natural interferon alpha/beta-producing cells link innate and adaptive immunity.J Exp Med. 2000; 192: 219-226
- Epidermal langerhans cell-deficient mice develop enhanced contact hypersensitivity.Immunity. 2005; 23: 611-620
- Disruption of the langerin/CD207 gene abolishes Birbeck granules without a marked loss of Langerhans cell function.Mol Cell Biol. 2005; 25: 88-99
- Dynamics and function of Langerhans cells in vivo: dermal dendritic cells colonize lymph node areas distinct from slower migrating Langerhans cells.Immunity. 2005; 22: 643-654
- Plasmacytoid dendritic cells sense self-DNA coupled with antimicrobial peptide.Nature. 2007; 449: 564-569
- Uber die Nerven der menschlichen Haut.Virchows Arch. 1868: 325-337
- Changing paradigms in cutaneous immunology: adapting with dendritic cells.J Invest Dermatol. 2005; 124: 1-12
- Dermal-resident CD14+ cells differentiate into Langerhans cells.Nat Immunol. 2001; 2: 1151-1158
- Human and murine dermis contain dendritic cells. Isolation by means of a novel method and phenotypical and functional characterization.J Clin Invest. 1993; 92: 2587-2596
- IPC: professional type 1 interferon-producing cells and plasmacytoid dendritic cell precursors.Annu Rev Immunol. 2005; 23: 275-306
- Increase in TNF-alpha and inducible nitric oxide synthase-expressing dendritic cells in psoriasis and reduction with efalizumab (anti-CD11a).Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2005; 102: 19057-19062
- Psoriasis vulgaris flare during efalizumab therapy does not preclude future use: a case series.BMC Dermatol. 2005; 5: 9
- Characterization of human blood dendritic cell subsets.Blood. 2002; 100: 4512-4520
- Immunosurveillance by hematopoietic progenitor cells trafficking through blood, lymph, and peripheral tissues.Cell. 2007; 131: 994-1008
- Birbeck granules are subdomains of endosomal recycling compartment in human epidermal Langerhans cells, which form where Langerin accumulates.Mol Biol Cell. 2002; 13: 317-335
- Induction of dendritic cell costimulator molecule expression is suppressed by T cells in the absence of antigen-specific signalling: role of cluster formation, CD40 and HLA-class II for dendritic cell activation.Immunology. 1999; 98: 171-180
- Depletion of host Langerhans cells before transplantation of donor alloreactive T cells prevents skin graft-versus-host disease.Nat Med. 2004; 10: 510-517
- Langerhans cells renew in the skin throughout life under steady-state conditions.Nat Immunol. 2002; 3: 1135-1141
- Heterogeneous populations of class II MHC+ cells in human dermal cell suspensions. Identification of a small subset responsible for potent dermal antigen-presenting cell activity with features analogous to Langerhans cells.J Immunol. 1993; 151: 4067-4080
- Functional human epidermal Langerhans cells that lack Birbeck granules.J Invest Dermatol. 1994; 103: 807-810
- CD4+ T cell responses elicited by different subsets of human skin migratory dendritic cells.J Immunol. 2005; 175: 7905-7915
- Development of plasmacytoid and conventional dendritic cell subtypes from single precursor cells derived in vitro and in vivo.Nat Immunol. 2007; 8: 1217-1226
- Plasmacytoid predendritic cells initiate psoriasis through interferon-alpha production.J Exp Med. 2005; 202: 135-143
- Human dermal dendritic cells process and present soluble protein antigens.J Invest Dermatol. 1998; 110: 762-766
- Defining upstream elements of psoriasis pathogenesis: an emerging role for interferon alpha.J Invest Dermatol. 2005; 125: xiv-xv
- From classical mouse models of psoriasis to a spontaneous xenograft model featuring use of AGR mice.Ernst Schering Res Found Workshop. 2005; 50: 203-212
- Characterization of dermal dendritic cells in psoriasis. Autostimulation of T lymphocytes and induction of Th1 type cytokines.J Clin Invest. 1994; 94: 202-209
- Characterization of dermal dendritic cells obtained from normal human skin reveals phenotypic and functionally distinctive subsets.J Immunol. 1993; 151: 6535-6545
- The role of dendritic cell subtypes in the pathophysiology of atopic dermatitis.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005; 53: S171-S176
- Identification of clonogenic common Flt3+M-CSFR+ plasmacytoid and conventional dendritic cell progenitors in mouse bone marrow.Nat Immunol. 2007; 8: 1207-1216
- Functional specialization of human circulating CD16 and CD1c myeloid dendritic-cell subsets.Blood. 2007; 109: 5371-5379
- Both dendritic cells and memory T lymphocytes emigrate from organ cultures of human skin and form distinctive dendritic-T-cell conjugates.J Invest Dermatol. 1995; 104: 11-17
- The dermis contains langerin+ dendritic cells that develop and function independently of epidermal Langerhans cells.J Exp Med. 2007; 204: 3119-3131
- The CD16(+) (FcgammaRIII(+)) subset of human monocytes preferentially becomes migratory dendritic cells in a model tissue setting.J Exp Med. 2002; 196: 517-527
- CD8 alpha- and Langerin-negative dendritic cells, but not Langerhans cells, act as principal antigen-presenting cells in leishmaniasis.Eur J Immunol. 2004; 34: 1542-1550
- Plasmacytoid dendritic cells: the key to CpG.Hum Immunol. 2002; 63: 1111-1119
- TNF/iNOS-producing dendritic cells mediate innate immune defense against bacterial infection.Immunity. 2003; 19: 59-70
- Steady-state and inflammatory dendritic-cell development.Nat Rev Immunol. 2007; 7: 19-30
- Tumoricidal activity of TLR7/8-activated inflammatory dendritic cells.J Exp Med. 2007; 204: 1441-1451
- Taking dendritic cells into medicine.Nature. 2007; 449: 419-426
- Identification of a novel cell type in peripheral lymphoid organs of mice. I. Morphology, quantitation, tissue distribution.J Exp Med. 1973; 137: 1142-1162
- Avoiding horror autotoxicus: the importance of dendritic cells in peripheral T cell tolerance.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2002; 99: 351-358
- Visualization and characterization of migratory Langerhans cells in murine skin and lymph nodes by antibodies against Langerin/CD207.J Invest Dermatol. 2003; 120: 266-274
- Migratory Langerhans cells in mouse lymph nodes in steady state and inflammation.J Invest Dermatol. 2005; 125: 116-125
- Disappearance of certain acidic organelles (endosomes and Langerhans cell granules) accompanies loss of antigen processing capacity upon culture of epidermal Langerhans cells.J Exp Med. 1990; 172: 1471-1482
- Acute upregulation of an NKG2D ligand promotes rapid reorganization of a local immune compartment with pleiotropic effects on carcinogenesis.Nat Immunol. 2008; 9: 146-154
- Stromal-cell regulation of dendritic-cell differentiation and function.Trends Immunol. 2006; 27: 580-587
- Migratory fate and differentiation of blood monocyte subsets.Immunobiology. 2006; 211: 609-618
- Regulation of IgA production by naturally occurring TNF/iNOS-producing dendritic cells.Nature. 2007; 448: 929-933
- Type I interferons (alpha/beta) in immunity and autoimmunity.Annu Rev Immunol. 2005; 23: 307-336
- Immunological and histochemical analysis of regional variations of epidermal Langerhans cells in normal human skin.Histochem J. 1984; 16: 507-519
- Identification of factor XIII-A as a marker of alternative macrophage activation.Cell Mol Life Sci. 2005; 62: 2132-2139
- Langerin, a novel C-type lectin specific to Langerhans cells, is an endocytic receptor that induces the formation of Birbeck granules.Immunity. 2000; 12: 71-81
- Cutaneous dendritic cells.Semin Immunol. 2005; 17: 273-283
- Immunomorphological and ultrastructural characterization of Langerhans cells and a novel, inflammatory dendritic epidermal cell (IDEC) population in lesional skin of atopic eczema.J Invest Dermatol. 1996; 106: 446-453
- Expression and function of the mannose receptor CD206 on epidermal dendritic cells in inflammatory skin diseases.J Invest Dermatol. 2002; 118: 327-334
- Amelioration of epidermal hyperplasia by TNF inhibition is associated with reduced Th17 responses.J Exp Med. 2007; 204: 3183-3194
- Normal human dermis contains distinct populations of CD11c+BDCA-1+ dendritic cells and CD163+FXIIIA+ macrophages.J Clin Invest. 2007; 117: 2517-2525
- Psoriasis is characterized by accumulation of immunostimulatory and Th1/Th17 cell polarizing myeloid dendritic cells.J Invest Dermatol. 2008https://doi.org/10.1038/jid.2008.194 (advance online publication, 17 July 2008)
- Vaginal submucosal dendritic cells, but not Langerhans cells, induce protective Th1 responses to herpes simplex virus-2.J Exp Med. 2003; 197: 153-162
The authors state no conflict of interest.
User LicenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy