Abbreviations:K15 (keratin 15), SCC (squamous cell carcinoma)
Identification of Multiple Progenitor Pools Within the Follicle With Tumorigenic Potential
K15 Versus Lgr5 Versus Lgr6 Cells as Cell of Origin for SCC
Diversity of Genetic Hits
- Flores A.
- Grant W.
- White A.C.
- Scumpia P.
- Takahashi R.
- Lowry W.E.
Sources of Tumor Diversity
- Flores A.
- Grant W.
- White A.C.
- Scumpia P.
- Takahashi R.
- Lowry W.E.
Conflict of Interest
- Supplementary Figure S1
- Prevalence of RAS oncogene mutation in head and neck carcinomas.J Otolaryngol. 1992; 21: 321-326
- RNAi screens in mice identify physiological regulators of oncogenic growth.Nature. 2013; 501: 185-190
- Skin hyperkeratosis and papilloma formation in transgenic mice expressing a ras oncogene from a suprabasal keratin promoter.Cell. 1990; 62: 697-708
- The malignant capacity of skin tumours induced by expression of a mutant H-ras transgene depends on the cell type targeted.Curr Biol. 1998; 8: 516-524
- Nerve-derived sonic hedgehog defines a niche for hair follicle stem cells capable of becoming epidermal stem cells.Cell Stem Cell. 2011; 8: 552-565
- Inducible activation of oncogenic K-ras results in tumor formation in the oral cavity.Cancer Res. 2004; 64: 5054-5058
- Progeny of Lgr5-expressing hair follicle stem cell contributes to papillomavirus-induced tumor development in epidermis.Oncogene. 2013; 32: 3732-3743
- Notch-deficient skin induces a lethal systemic B-lymphoproliferative disorder by secreting TSLP, a sentinel for epidermal integrity.PLoS Biol. 2008; 6: e123
- Epidermal Notch1 loss promotes skin tumorigenesis by impacting the stromal microenvironment.Cancer Cell. 2009; 16: 55-66
- Review of the hair follicle origin hypothesis for basal cell carcinoma.Dermatol Surg. 2009; 35: 1311-1323
- Temporal dissection of tumorigenesis in primary cancers.Cancer Discov. 2011; 1: 137-143
- Squamous cell carcinoma induced by ultraviolet radiation originates from cells of the hair follicle in mice.Exp Dermatol. 2007; 16: 485-489
- Tumor suppressor identity can contribute to heterogeneity of phenotype in hair follicle stem cell induced squamous carcinoma.Exp Dermatol. 2016; ([e-pub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1111/exd.13037
- Cytogenetic analysis of malignant skin tumors induced in chemically treated TG-AC transgenic mice.Mol Carcinog. 1994; 11: 215-226
- Dynamics of Lgr6 progenitor cells in the hair follicle, sebaceous gland, and interfollicular epidermis.Stem Cell Reports. 2015; 5: 843-855
- Basal cell carcinomas in mice arise from hair follicle stem cells and multiple epithelial progenitor populations.J Clin Invest. 2011; 121: 1768-1781
- Induction of epidermal hyperplasia, hyperkeratosis, and papillomas in transgenic mice by a targeted v-Ha-ras oncogene.Mol Carcinog. 1993; 7: 99-110
- Targeting expression of keratinocyte growth factor to keratinocytes elicits striking changes in epithelial differentiation in transgenic mice.EMBO J. 1993; 12: 973-986
- Follicular origin of epidermal papillomas in v-Ha-ras transgenic TG.AC mouse skin.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1994; 91: 7822-7826
- Blimp1 defines a progenitor population that governs cellular input to the sebaceous gland.Cell. 2006; 126: 597-609
- Analysis of lung tumor initiation and progression using conditional expression of oncogenic K-ras.Genes Dev. 2001; 15: 3243-3248
- Lgr5 marks cycling, yet long-lived, hair follicle stem cells.Nat Genet. 2008; 40: 1291-1299
- Lrig1 expression defines a distinct multipotent stem cell population in mammalian epidermis.Cell Stem Cell. 2009; 4: 427-439
- Wounding enhances epidermal tumorigenesis by recruiting hair follicle keratinocytes.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011; 108: 4099-4104
- Identifying the cellular origin of squamous skin tumors.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011; 108: 7431-7436
- Bi-compartmental communication contributes to the opposite proliferative behavior of Notch1-deficient hair follicle and epidermal keratinocytes.Development. 2007; 134: 2795-2806
- A keratin 15 containing stem cell population from the hair follicle contributes to squamous papilloma development in the mouse.Mol Carcinog. 2012; 52: 751-759
- Low incidence of Ha-ras oncogene mutations in human epidermal tumors.Cancer Lett. 1991; 59: 231-235
- Evolution of metastasis revealed by mutational landscapes of chemically induced skin cancers.Nat Med. 2015; 21: 1514-1520
- Conditional site-specific recombination in mammalian cells using a ligand-dependent chimeric Cre recombinase.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1995; 92: 6991-6995
- Mouse skin is particularly susceptible to tumor initiation during early anagen of the hair cycle: possible involvement of hair follicle stem cells.J Invest Dermatol. 1993; 101: 591-594
- Capturing and profiling adult hair follicle stem cells.Nat Biotechnol. 2004; 22: 411-417
- Activated Kras alters epidermal homeostasis of mouse skin, resulting in redundant skin and defective hair cycling.J Invest Dermatol. 2011; 131: 311-319
- Genomic landscape of carcinogen-induced and genetically induced mouse skin squamous cell carcinoma.Nat Med. 2015; 21: 946-954
- Notch1 functions as a tumor suppressor in mouse skin.Nat Genet. 2003; 33: 416-421
- Frequent mutations in TP53 and CDKN2A found by next-generation sequencing of head and neck cancer cell lines.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012; 138: 732-739
- The cell-surface marker MTS24 identifies a novel population of follicular keratinocytes with characteristics of progenitor cells.Development. 2006; 133: 3027-3037
- Genetic alterations cooperate with v-Ha-ras to accelerate multistage carcinogenesis in TG.AC transgenic mouse skin.Cancer Res. 1995; 55: 3171-3178
- Mutational landscape of aggressive cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma.Clin Cancer Res. 2014; 20: 6582-6592
- Ras gene mutation and amplification in human nonmelanoma skin cancers.Mol Carcinog. 1991; 4: 196-202
- Mutations in the p53 tumor suppressor gene in human cutaneous squamous cell carcinomas.Mol Carcinog. 1991; 4: 445-449
- Non-melanoma skin cancer in mouse and man.Arch Toxicol. 2013; 87: 783-798
- Lgr6 marks stem cells in the hair follicle that generate all cell lineages of the skin.Science. 2010; 327: 1385-1389
- NOTCH1 mutations occur early during cutaneous squamous cell carcinogenesis.J Invest Dermatol. 2014; 134: 2630-2638
- The mutational landscape of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.Science. 2011; 333: 1157-1160
- RAS mutations in cutaneous squamous-cell carcinomas in patients treated with BRAF inhibitors.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 207-215
- Defining the epithelial stem cell niche in skin.Science. 2004; 303: 359-363
- Endogenous oncogenic K-ras(G12D) stimulates proliferation and widespread neoplastic and developmental defects.Cancer Cell. 2004; 5: 375-387
- Ras oncogene mutations in basal cell carcinomas and squamous cell carcinomas of human skin.J Invest Dermatol. 1990; 94: 423-425
- Conditional expression of K-ras in an epithelial compartment that includes the stem cells is sufficient to promote squamous cell carcinogenesis.Cancer Res. 2004; 64: 8804-8807
- Stem cell quiescence acts as a tumour suppressor in squamous tumours.Nat Cell Biol. 2014; 16: 99-107
- Exploiting the origins of Ras mediated squamous cell carcinoma to develop novel therapeutic interventions.Small GTPases. 2011; 2: 318-321
- Refining the role for adult stem cells as cancer cells of origin.Trends Cell Biol. 2015; 25: 11-20
- Defining the origins of Ras/p53-mediated squamous cell carcinoma.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011; 108: 7425-7430
- Inflammation and Hras signaling control epithelial-mesenchymal transition during skin tumor progression.Genes Dev. 2013; 27: 670-682
- p53 gene mutations and p21 protein expression induced independently of p53, by TGF-beta and gamma-rays in squamous cell carcinoma cells.Eur J Cancer. 1999; 35: 278-283
- Sunburn and p53 in the onset of skin cancer.Nature. 1994; 372: 773-776
User LicenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy