Abbreviations:CTLA4 (cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated protein 4), DEG (differentially expressed gene), FDR (false discovery rate), GSVA (gene set variation analysis), K16 (keratin 16), PASI (Psoriasis Area and Severity Index), TH (T helper), Treg (regulator T cell)
Comparing mild versus severe psoriasis skin for immune cell infiltration
Comparing mild versus severe psoriasis skin for disease-associated cytokine expression
Comparing mild versus severe psoriasis skin for global messenger RNA expression patterns and resulting tissue response
|Category||Symbol||Gene Name||LS vs NS||Mild vs Severe|
|Mild psoriasis > Severe psoriasis|
|T-cell activation||PRKCQ||protein kinase C theta||65.8||23.2||2.8|
|CD3G||CD3g molecule, gamma||8.2||4.7||1.7|
|ITK||IL-2–inducible T-cell kinase||7.6||4.4||1.7|
|ITGAL||integrin alpha L||10.5||6.8||1.6|
|CXCL1||chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand 1||243.8||64.6||3.8|
|TH1-regulated cytokines||IL12RB2||IL-12 receptor, beta 2||5.7||2.2||2.5|
|IRF7||IFN regulatory factor 7||9.9||4.0||2.5|
|CCL5||chemokine (C-C motif) ligand 5||3.8||1.5||2.5|
|Mx1||Mx dynamin-like GTPase 1||16.0||10.2||1.6|
|Negative regulators||IKBKE||inhibitor of kappa light polypeptide gene enhancer in B-cells, kinase epsilon||10.0||3.6||2.8|
|FAIM3||Fas apoptotic inhibitory molecule 3||9.6||3.8||2.6|
|PD-L1||Programmed death ligand 1|
|IDO1||indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase 1||13.9||8.5||1.6|
|CTLA4||cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated protein 4||94.7||62.7||1.5|
|PDCD11||programmed cell death 11||2.2||1.7||1.3|
|Severe psoriasis > Mild psoriasis|
|Epidermal hyperplasia||TGFA||transforming growth factor alpha||6.6||16.5||–2.5|
|SMPD3||sphingomyelin phosphodiesterase 3||4.4||10.0||–2.3|
|Epithelial IL-36 receptor||IL1RL2||IL-1 receptor-like 2||2.9||7.4||–2.6|
|Epithelial chemokine||CCL20||chemokine (C-C motif) ligand 20||56.1||68.7||–1.2|
|Tumor necrosis factor||TNF||tumor necrosis factor||2.7||3.1||-1.2|
|Systemic autoimmunity||FCGR3B||Fc fragment of IgG, low affinity IIIb, receptor (CD16b)||2.9||11.2||–3.8|
Comparing mild versus severe psoriasis skin for disease-response pathway activation
- Krueger G.G.
- Feldman S.R.
- Camisa C.
- Duvic M.
- Elder J.T.
- Gottlieb A.B.
- et al.
- Armstrong A.W.
- Robertson A.D.
- Wu J.
- Schupp C.
- Lebwohl M.G.
- Krueger J.G.
- Ferris L.K.
- Menter A.
- Wagner F.
- White A.
- Visvanathan S.
- et al.
Materials and Methods
Study design and skin biopsy samples
Isolation of total RNA from skin biopsy samples
RNA microarray experiments
Conflict of Interest
- Supplementary Tables S1–S3 and Supplementary Materials and Methods
- Melanocyte antigen triggers autoimmunity in human psoriasis.J Exp Med. 2015; 212: 2203-2212
- Undertreatment, treatment trends, and treatment dissatisfaction among patients with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis in the United States: findings from the National Psoriasis Foundation surveys, 2003-2011.JAMA Dermatol. 2013; 149: 1180-1185
- Effects of adalimumab therapy in adult subjects with moderate-to-severe psoriasis on Th17 pathway.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2014; 28: 1016-1024
- Opposing activities of two novel members of the IL-1 ligand family regulate skin inflammation.J Exp Med. 2007; 204: 2603-2614
- The ‘psoriatic march’: a concept of how severe psoriasis may drive cardiovascular comorbidity.Exp Dermatol. 2011; 20: 303-307
- Insights into psoriasis and other inflammatory diseases from large-scale gene expression studies.Hum Mol Genet. 2001; 10: 1793-1805
- Circulating levels of sphingosine-1-phosphate are elevated in severe, but not mild psoriasis and are unresponsive to anti-TNF-α treatment.Sci Rep. 2015; 5: 12017
- Dynamic frequency of CD4+ CD25+ Foxp3+ Treg cells in psoriasis vulgaris.J Dermatol Sci. 2008; 51: 200-203
- Integrative responses to IL-17 and TNF-alpha in human keratinocytes account for key inflammatory pathogenic circuits in psoriasis.J Invest Dermatol. 2011; 131: 677-687
- IL-17 induces an expanded range of downstream genes in reconstituted human epidermis model.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e90284
- A comparison of serum inflammatory cytokines according to phenotype in patients with psoriasis.Br J Dermatol. 2012; 167: 762-767
- Association between psoriasis and the metabolic syndrome.Dermatology. 2008; 216: 152-155
- Inflammation: IL-36 has proinflammatory effects in skin but not in joints.Nature Reviews Rheumatology. 2014; 10: 639-640
- FCGR3B copy number variation is associated with susceptibility to systemic, but not organ-specific, autoimmunity.Nat Genet. 2007; 39: 721-723
- A quantitative definition of severe psoriasis for use in clinical trials.J Dermatol Treat. 2004; 15: 27-29
- Risk of myocardial infarction in patients with psoriasis.JAMA. 2006; 296: 1735-1741
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in patients with psoriasis: a hospital-based case-control study.Br J Dermatol. 2007; 157: 68-73
- Psoriatic arthritis: epidemiology, clinical features, course, and outcome.Ann Rheum Dis. 2005; 64: ii14-ii17
- Global gene expression analysis reveals evidence for decreased lipid biosynthesis and increased innate immunity in uninvolved psoriatic skin.J Invest Dermal. 2009; 129: 2795-2804
- Psoriasis is characterized by deficient negative immune regulation compared to transient delayed-type hypersensitivity reactions.F1000Res. 2015; (http://dx.doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.6581.1)
- Transcriptional profiling of psoriasis using RNA-seq reveals previously unidentified differentially expressed genes.J Invest Dermatol. 2011; 132: 246-249
- Simultaneous measurement of multiple Th1 and Th2 serum cytokines in psoriasis and correlation with disease severity.Mediat Inflamm. 2003; 12: 309-313
- Expression of tumor necrosis factor alpha-induced protein 3 mRNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells negatively correlates with disease severity in psoriasis vulgaris.Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2012; 19: 1938-1942
- The role of inflammatory markers in assessing disease severity and response to treatment in patients with psoriasis treated with etanercept.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2011; 36: 845-850
- The immunopathogenesis of psoriasis.Dermatol Clin. 2015; 33: 13-23
- Molecular phenotyping small (Asian) versus large (Western) plaque psoriasis shows common activation of IL-17 pathway genes but different regulatory gene sets.J Invest Dermatol. 2016; 136: 161-172
- Heart disease in psoriasis.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007; 57: 347-354
- Two considerations for patients with psoriasis and their clinicians: What defines mild, moderate, and severe psoriasis? What constitutes a clinically significant improvement when treating psoriasis?.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2000; 43: 281-285
- Anti–IL-23A mAb BI 655066 for treatment of moderate-to-severe psoriasis: safety, efficacy, pharmacokinetics, and biomarker results of a single-rising-dose, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015; 136: 116-124
- The antimicrobial peptide LL37 is a T-cell autoantigen in psoriasis.Nat Commun. 2014; 5: 5621
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in patients with psoriasis: a population-based study in the United Kingdom.J Invest Dermatol. 2012; 132: 556-562
- Psoriasis: epidemiology, clinical features, and quality of life.Ann Rheum Dis. 2005; 64: ii18-ii23
- Pronounced phenotype in activated regulatory T cells during a chronic helminth infection.J Immunol. 2010; 184: 713-724
- Inferring pathway activity toward precise disease classification.PLoS Comput Biol. 2008; 4: e1000217
- Serum IL-22 correlates with psoriatic severity and serum IL-6 correlates with susceptibility to phototherapy.J Dermatol Sci. 2010; 58: 225-227
- The IL-23/T17 pathogenic axis in psoriasis is amplified by keratinocyte responses.Trend Immunol. 2013; 34: 174-181
- Serum levels of selected Th17 and Th22 cytokines in psoriatic patients.Dis Markers. 2013; 35: 625-631
- Calmodulin activities are significantly increased in both uninvolved and involved epidermis in psoriasis.J Invest Dermatol. 1985; 85: 450-452
- Essentials of Th17 cell commitment and plasticity.Blood. 2013; 121: 2402-2414
- Kinetics of circulating Th17 cytokines and adipokines in psoriasis patients.Arch Dermatol Res. 2011; 303: 451-455
- Prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors in patients with psoriasis.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006; 55: 829-835
- Psoriasis.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 496-509
- Association with genetic variants in the IL-23 and NF-kappaB pathways discriminates between mild and severe psoriasis skin disease.J Invest Dermatol. 2015; 135: 1969-1976
- Analysis of the transcriptional program of developing induced regulatory T cells.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e16913
- The psoriasis area and severity index is the adequate criterion to define severity in chronic plaque-type psoriasis.Dermatology. 2005; 210: 194-199
- The dark side of regulatory T cells in psoriasis.J Invest Dermatol. 2011; 131: 1785-1786
- Psoriasis patients exhibit impairment of the high potency CCR5+ T regulatory cell subset.Clin Immunol. 2013; 149: 111-118
- Expanding the psoriasis disease profile: interrogation of the skin and serum of patients with moderate-to-severe psoriasis.J Invest Dermatol. 2012; 132: 2552-2564
- Evaluation of the psoriasis transcriptome across different studies by gene set enrichment analysis (GSEA).PLoS ONE. 2010; 5: e10247
- Dysfunctional blood and target tissue CD4+CD25high regulatory T cells in psoriasis: mechanism underlying unrestrained pathogenic effector T cell proliferation.J Immunol. 2005; 174: 164-173
- Serum cytokines and growth factor levels in Japanese patients with psoriasis.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2010; 35: 645-649
- Meta-analysis derived (MAD) transcriptome of psoriasis defines the “core” pathogenesis of disease.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e44274
- Loss of functional suppression by CD4+ CD25+ regulatory T cells in patients with multiple sclerosis.J Exp Med. 2004; 199: 971-979
- A model-based background adjustment for oligonucleotide expression arrays.J Am Stat Assoc. 2004; 99: 909-917
- Type I interferon: potential therapeutic target for psoriasis?.PLoS One. 2008; 3: e2737
See related commentary on pg 2124
User licenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy