Abbreviations:AFM (atomic force microscopy), COL (collagen), ECM (extracellular matrix), FN (fibronectin), HDAC (histone deacetylase), KFs (keloid fibroblasts), NFs (normal fibroblasts), PA (polyacrylamide), siNC (nontargeting control small interfering RNA), siRNA (small interfering RNA), TCP (tissue culture plastic), TSA (trichostatin A)
- Ogawa R.
- Akaishi S.
- Huang C.
- Dohi T.
- Aoki M.
- Omori Y.
- et al.
- Ogawa R.
- Akaishi S.
- Huang C.
- Dohi T.
- Aoki M.
- Omori Y.
- et al.
Keloid tissues are stiffer than normal dermal tissues, but KFs are softer than normal dermal fibroblasts
RUNX2 is a potential key regulator for ECM overproduction in keloids
Hyperresponsiveness of KFs to dermal tissue-equivalent matrix stiffness causes increased expression of RUNX2 and COL11A1
Decreased CAV1 is associated with cell softening and the up-regulation of fibrogenesis-associated RUNX2 and migratory ability in KFs
TSA, an HDAC inhibitor, inhibited histone deacetylase, increased CAV1, and decreased RUNX2 in KFs
Materials and Methods
Primary culture of fibroblasts
Measurements of cell/tissue mechanical properties by AFM
Preparation and fabrication of PA gels
cDNA microarray analysis and ingenuity pathway analysis
Western blot analyses
Immunofluorescence staining and confocal microscopy
Cell transfection with siRNA
Wound migration assay
Fabrication of micropost arrays and quantification of traction force
Conflict of Interest
- Supplementary Data
- The nano-scale mechanical properties of the extracellular matrix regulate dermal fibroblast function.J Invest Dermatol. 2014; 134: 1862-1872
- The relationship between keloid growth pattern and stretching tension: visual analysis using the finite element method.Ann Plast Surg. 2008; 60: 445-451
- Microtubule disassembly induces cytoskeletal remodeling and lung vascular barrier dysfunction: role of Rho-dependent mechanisms.J Cell Physiol. 2004; 201: 55-70
- Caveolin-1: role in cell signaling.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2012; 729: 29-50
- Keloids: current concepts of pathogenesis (review).Int J Mol Med. 2009; 24: 283-293
- Scleroderma-like properties of skin from caveolin-1-deficient mice: implications for new treatment strategies in patients with fibrosis and systemic sclerosis.Cell Cycle. 2011; 10: 2140-2150
- Analysis of differentially expressed genes in keloids and normal skin with cDNA microarray.J Surg Res. 2003; 113: 208-216
- Regulation of proximal tubular cell differentiation and proliferation in primary culture by matrix stiffness and ECM components.Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2014; 307: F695-F707
- Matrix-stiffness-regulated inverse expression of Kruppel-like factor 5 and Kruppel-like factor 4 in the pathogenesis of renal fibrosis.Am J Pathol. 2015; 185: 2468-2481
- The influence of physical and physiological cues on atomic force microscopy-based cell stiffness assessment.PLoS One. 2013; 8e77384
- Induction of osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells by histone deacetylase inhibitors.J Cell Biochem. 2005; 96: 533-542
- Decreased expression of caveolin 1 in patients with systemic sclerosis: crucial role in the pathogenesis of tissue fibrosis.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 58: 2854-2865
- Trichostatin A inhibits collagen synthesis and induces apoptosis in keloid fibroblasts.Arch Dermatol Res. 2011; 303: 573-580
- Tissue cells feel and respond to the stiffness of their substrate.Science. 2005; 310: 1139-1143
- Matrix elasticity directs stem cell lineage specification.Cell. 2006; 126: 677-689
- Histone deacetylase 2 is upregulated in normal and keloid scars.J Invest Dermatol. 2012; 132: 1293-1296
- Mechanical regulation of cell function with geometrically modulated elastomeric substrates.Nat Methods. 2010; 7: 733-736
- Trichostatin A blocks TGF-beta-induced collagen gene expression in skin fibroblasts: involvement of Sp1.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007; 354: 420-426
- Mechanosensation: a basic cellular process.Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 2014; 126: 75-102
- Mechanical coupling of cytoskeletal elasticity and force generation is crucial for understanding the migrating nature of keloid fibroblasts.Exp Dermatol. 2015; 24: 579-584
- Trichostatin A prevents the accumulation of extracellular matrix in a mouse model of bleomycin-induced skin fibrosis.Arthritis Rheum. 2007; 56: 2755-2764
- A novel immune competent murine hypertrophic scar contracture model: a tool to elucidate disease mechanism and develop new therapies.Wound Repair Regen. 2014; 22: 755-764
- Epidermal growth factor induces fibroblast contractility and motility via a protein kinase C delta-dependent pathway.J Biol Chem. 2004; 279: 14551-14560
- Mechanisms of mechanical signaling in development and disease.J Cell Sci. 2011; 124: 9-18
- A guide to mechanobiology: Where biology and physics meet.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015; 1853: 3043-3052
- Functional histopathology of keloid disease.Histol Histopathol. 2015; 30: 1033-1057
- Mechanical stress-mediated Runx2 activation is dependent on Ras/ERK1/2 MAPK signaling in osteoblasts.J Cell Biochem. 2007; 101: 1266-1277
- Caveolin regulates microtubule polymerization in the vascular smooth muscle cells.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006; 342: 164-169
- Cell-cycle control by physiological matrix elasticity and in vivo tissue stiffening.Curr Biol. 2009; 19: 1511-1518
- Contraction due to microtubule disruption is associated with increased phosphorylation of myosin regulatory light chain.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1995; 92: 10252-10256
- Methyl-beta-cyclodextrin up-regulates collagen I expression in chronologically-aged skin via its anti-caveolin-1 activity.Oncotarget. 2015; 6: 1942-1953
- Histopathological differential diagnosis of keloid and hypertrophic scar.Am J Dermatopathol. 2004; 26: 379-384
- Mouse kidney progenitor cells accelerate renal regeneration and prolong survival after ischemic injury.Stem Cells. 2010; 28: 573-584
- Keloid-derived, plasma/fibrin-based skin equivalents generate de novo dermal and epidermal pathology of keloid fibrosis in a mouse model.Wound Repair Regen. 2016; 24: 302-316
- Matrix rigidity regulates a switch between TGF-beta1-induced apoptosis and epithelial-mesenchymal transition.Mol Biol Cell. 2012; 23: 781-791
- The epigenetic regulation of wound healing.Adv Wound Care. 2014; 3: 468-475
- Mechanical phenotype of cancer cells: cell softening and loss of stiffness sensing.Oncotarget. 2015; 6: 20946-20958
- Gene expression in human keloids is altered from dermal to chondrocytic and osteogenic lineage.Genes Cells. 2005; 10: 1081-1091
- A model for phospho-caveolin-1-driven turnover of focal adhesions.Cell Adh Migr. 2011; 5: 59-64
- On the nature of hypertrophic scars and keloids: a review.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999; 104 (1435–5)
- Clinical applications of basic research that shows reducing skin tension could prevent and treat abnormal scarring: the importance of fascial/subcutaneous tensile reduction sutures and flap surgery for keloid and hypertrophic scar reconstruction.J Nippon Med Sch. 2011; 78: 68-76
- Mechanobiological dysregulation of the epidermis and dermis in skin disorders and in degeneration.J Cell Mol Med. 2013; 17: 817-822
- Effects of microtubule disruption on force, velocity, stiffness and [Ca(2+)](i) in porcine coronary arteries.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2000; 279: H2493-H2501
- Transcription factor Runx2 promotes aortic fibrosis and stiffness in type 2 diabetes mellitus.Circ Res. 2015; 117: 513-524
- Participation of caveolae in beta1 integrin-mediated mechanotransduction.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007; 358: 626-631
- Tumor matrix protein collagen XIalpha1 in cancer.Cancer Lett. 2015; 357: 448-453
- Trichostatin A, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, suppresses collagen synthesis and prevents TGF-beta(1)-induced fibrogenesis in skin fibroblasts.Exp Cell Res. 2002; 278: 184-197
- Caveolin-1 knockout mice have increased bone size and stiffness.J Bone Miner Res. 2007; 22: 1408-1418
- Epigenetically altered wound healing in keloid fibroblasts.J Invest Dermatol. 2010; 130: 2489-2496
- Histone deacetylase inhibitors suppress mechanical stress-induced expression of RUNX-2 and ADAMTS-5 through the inhibition of the MAPK signaling pathway in cultured human chondrocytes.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2013; 21: 165-174
- Identification of unique gene expression patterns within different lesional sites of keloids.Wound Repair Regen. 2008; 16: 254-265
- Physical biology in cancer. 4. Physical cues guide tumor cell adhesion and migration.Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2014; 306: C98-C109
- Up-regulation of tension-related proteins in keloids: knockdown of Hsp27, alpha2beta1-integrin, and PAI-2 shows convincing reduction of extracellular matrix production.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013; 131 (158e–73e)
- CAV1 inhibits metastatic potential in melanomas through suppression of the integrin/Src/FAK signaling pathway.Cancer Res. 2010; 70: 7489-7499
- Cutaneous scarring: Pathophysiology, molecular mechanisms, and scar reduction therapeutics Part II. Strategies to reduce scar formation after dermatologic procedures.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012; 66: 13-24
- COL11A1/(pro)collagen 11A1 expression is a remarkable biomarker of human invasive carcinoma-associated stromal cells and carcinoma progression.Tumour Biol. 2015; 36: 2213-2222
- Caveolin-1: a critical regulator of lung fibrosis in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.J Exp Med. 2006; 203: 2895-2906
- Deregulation of AP-1 proteins in collagen gel-induced epithelial cell apoptosis mediated by low substratum rigidity.J Biol Chem. 2007; 282: 752-763
- Mechanosensing machinery for cells under low substratum rigidity.Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008; 295: C1579-C1589
- RAC activity in keloid disease: comparative analysis of fibroblasts from margin of keloid to its surrounding normal skin.Eplasty. 2008; 8: e19
- Pushing back: wound mechanotransduction in repair and regeneration.J Invest Dermatol. 2011; 131: 2186-2196
- Focal adhesion kinase links mechanical force to skin fibrosis via inflammatory signaling.Nat Med. 2011; 18: 148-152
- p190 RhoGTPase-activating protein links the beta1 integrin/caveolin-1 mechanosignaling complex to RhoA and actin remodeling.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011; 31: 376-383
- Measurement and analysis of traction force dynamics in response to vasoactive agonists.Integr Biol. 2011; 3: 663-674
- Troglitazone suppresses transforming growth factor-beta1-induced collagen type I expression in keloid fibroblasts.Br J Dermatol. 2009; 160: 762-770
- Role of caveolin-1 in the pathogenesis of tissue fibrosis by keloid-derived fibroblasts in vitro.Br J Dermatol. 2011; 164: 623-627
- The bone-specific transcriptional regulator Cbfa1 is a target of mechanical signals in osteoblastic cells.J Biol Chem. 2002; 277: 23934-23941
User licenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy