Abbreviations:AD (atopic dermatitis), CCL (chemokine (C-C motif) ligand), CXCL (chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand), CXCR (chemokine (C-X-C motif) receptor), DEG (differentially expressed gene), FC (fold changes), KLK (kallikrein), MRGPR (Mas-related G-protein coupled receptor), Nav (voltage-gated sodium channels), NK-1R (neurokinin-1), PAR (protease-activated receptor), PLA2 (phospholipase A2), PS (psoriasis), RNA-seq (RNA sequencing), TRP (transient receptor potential), TRPA1 (TRP ankyrin 1), TRPV1 (TRP vanilloid 1)
Analysis of DEGs
Analysis of DEGs in ethnic groups
Immunohistochemistry of selected DEG products
- Kavanaugh A.
- Puig L.
- Gottlieb A.B.
- Ritchlin C.
- You Y.
- Li S.
- et al.
Materials and Methods
|Age||40 ± 13||41 ± 16||38 ± 14|
|NRS itch intensity||8.4 ± 1.5||8.6 ± 1.8||0|
|EASI/PASI score||42.6 ± 30.1||21 ± 16.7||0|
|Chronic itch duration||5–57 y||2–28 y||N/A|
RNA isolation and sequencing
Conflict of Interest
- Supplementary Table S1
- Expression of tachykinins and their receptors in plaque psoriasis with pruritus.Br J Dermatol. 2011; 164: 1023-1029
- Dual action of neurokinin-1 antagonists on Mas-related GPCRs.JCI Insight. 2016; 1e89362
- The release of leukotriene B4-like material in biologically active amounts from the lesional skin of patients with psoriasis.J Invest Dermatol. 1984; 83: 70-73
- Targeting itch with ligands selective for κ opioid receptors.Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2015; 226: 291-314
- Itch characteristics in atopic dermatitis: results of a web-based questionnaire.Br J Dermatol. 2009; 160: 642-644
- Innovative management of pruritus.Dermatol Clin. 2010; 28: 467-478
- Transcriptional profiling of psoriasis using RNA-seq reveals previously unidentified differentially expressed genes.J Invest Dermatol. 2012; 132: 246-249
- Mast cells, nerves and neuropeptides in atopic dermatitis and nummular eczema.Arch Dermatol Res. 2003; 295: 2-7
- Efficacy and safety of ustekinumab in psoriatic arthritis patients with peripheral arthritis and physician-reported spondylitis: post-hoc analyses from two phase III, multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies (PSUMMIT-1/PSUMMiT-2).Ann Rheum Dis. 2016; 77: 1984-1988
- Pruritus: an overview. What drives people to scratch an itch?.Ulster Med J. 2016; 85: 164-173
- A monoclonal antibody that targets a NaV1.7 channel voltage sensor for pain and itch relief.Cell. 2014; 157: 1393-1404
- Transcriptome analysis of psoriasis in a large case-control sample: RNA-seq provides insights into disease mechanisms.J Invest Dermatol. 2014; 134: 1828-1838
- Epidermal nerve fiber density: normative reference range and diagnostic efficiency.Arch Neurol. 1998; 55: 1513-1520
- Identification of mast-cell-specific receptor crucial for pseudo-allergic drug reactions.Nature. 2015; 519: 237-241
- Prostaglandin E2 induces vasodilation and pruritus, but no protein extravasation in atopic dermatitis and controls.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002; 47: 28-32
- The Asian atopic dermatitis phenotype combines features of atopic dermatitis and psoriasis with increased TH17 polarization.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015; 136: 1254-1264
- Chronic pruritus: current and emerging treatment options.Drugs. 2017; 77: 999-1007
- Neuropeptides in skin from patients with atopic dermatitis: an immunohistochemical study.Br J Dermatol. 1990; 122: 745-750
- Anti-interleukin-31 receptor A antibody for atopic dermatitis.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 826-835
- Skin levels of arachidonic acid-derived inflammatory mediators and histamine in atopic dermatitis and psoriasis.J Invest Dermatol. 1986; 86: 105-108
- Endogenous glucocorticoid deficiency in psoriasis promotes inflammation and abnormal differentiation.J Invest Dermatol. 2017; 137: 1474-1483
- TRPV1 mediates histamine-induced itching via the activation of phospholipase A2 and 12-lipoxygenase.J Neurosci. 2007; 27: 2331-2337
- Targeting the neurokinin receptor 1 with aprepitant: a novel antipruritic strategy.PLoS One. 2010; 5e10968
- Secukinumab improves patient-reported psoriasis symptoms of itching, pain, and scaling: results of two phase 3, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials.Int J Dermatol. 2016; 55: 401-407
- RNA sequencing atopic dermatitis transcriptome profiling provides insights into novel disease mechanisms with potential therapeutic implications.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015; 135: 1218-1227
- Increased number of immunoreactive nerve fibers in atopic dermatitis.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1992; 90: 613-622
- RNA-Seq: a revolutionary tool for transcriptomics.Nat Rev Genet. 2009; 10: 57-63
- The prevalence and clinical characteristics of pruritus among patients with extensive psoriasis.Br J Dermatol. 2000; 143: 969-973
- Itch characteristics in Chinese patients with atopic dermatitis using a new questionnaire for the assessment of pruritus.Int J Dermatol. 2002; 41: 212-216
User LicenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy