Abbreviations:PN ((prurigo nodularis)), AA ((African American)), ESR ((erythrocyte sedimentation rate)), CRP ((C-reactive protein)), IGA ((Investigator’s Global Assessment)), AD ((atopic dermatitis))
- Clinical characteristics and disease burden in prurigo nodularis.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2021 May 10;
- Correlation of C-reactive protein levels with severity of chronic urticaria.Indian J Dermatol. 2014; 59: 636
Belzberg M, Alphonse MP, Brown I, Williams KA, Khanna R, Ho B, et al. Prurigo Nodularis Is Characterized by Systemic and Cutaneous T Helper 22 Immune Polarization. J Invest Dermatol. 202; 23:S0022-202X(21)01016-2.
- Ethnic differences and comorbidities of 909 prurigo nodularis patients.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018 Oct; 79: 714-719.e3
Donnelly K. SNOMED-CT: The advanced terminology and coding system for eHealth. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2006;121:279-290.
- Nuclear localization of activated STAT6 and STAT3 in epidermis of prurigo nodularis.Br J Dermatol. 2011 Nov; 165: 990-996
- Increased ferritin predicts development and severity of acute interstitial lung disease as a complication of dermatomyositis.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2010; 49: 1354-1360
- A general coefficient of similarity and some of its properties.Biometrics. 1971; 27: 857-871
- Control of the Physical and Antimicrobial Skin Barrier by an IL-31-IL-1 Signaling Network.J Immunol. 2016; 196: 3233-3244
Hennig C. Cluster-wise assessment of cluster stability. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis. 2007;15;52(1):258-271.
- Prurigo nodularis: Epidemiology and clinical features.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020; 83: 1559-1565
- Targeting the IL-1 family members in skin inflammation.Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2010; 11: 1211-1220
- Increased nerve growth factor-and tyrosine kinase A-like immunoreactivities in prurigo nodularis skin–an exploration of the cause of neurohyperplasia.Arch Dermatol Res. 2002; 293: 614-619
- Partitioning around medoids (program pam).Finding groups in data: an introduction to cluster analysis. 1990; 344: 68-125
- Itch in dermatomyositis: the role of increased skin interleukin-31.Br J Dermatol. 2018; 179: 669-678
- New Cytokines in the Pathogenesis of Atopic Dermatitis-New Therapeutic Targets.Int J Mol Sci. 2018; 19: 3086
- Serotonin and interleukin-6: Association with pruritus severity, sleep quality and depression severity in Prurigo Nodularis.Asian J Psychiatr. 2015; 17: 24-28
- Breaking the Itch–Scratch Cycle in Prurigo Nodularis.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 757-758
- Association between prurigo nodularis and malignancy in middle-aged adults.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2019 Nov; 81: 1198-1201
- Pruritus in Black Skin: Unique Molecular Characteristics and Clinical Features.J Natl Med Assoc. 2021; 113: 30-38
- Accumulation of nerve growth factor protein at both rostral and caudal stumps in the transected rat spinal cord.J Neurol Sci. 2002; 198: 63-69
- Clinical and laboratory manifestations of elderly onset psoriatic arthritis: a comparison with younger onset disease.Ann Rheum Dis. 1999; 58: 226-229
- A central limit theorem and a strong mixing condition.Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 1956 Jan; 42: 43
- Silhouettes: A graphical aid to the interpretation and validation of cluster analysis.Computational and Applied Mathematics. 1987; 20: 53-65
- Moving toward endotypes in atopic dermatitis: Identification of patient clusters based on serum biomarker analysis.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017; 140: 730-737
- Inflammatory endotypes of chronic rhinosinusitis based on cluster analysis of biomarkers.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016; 137 (e4): 1449-1456
- Helper T cell differentiation.Cell Mol Immunol. 2019; 16: 634-643
- Trial of Nemolizumab in Moderate-to-Severe Prurigo Nodularis.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 706-716
- Association of prurigo nodularis and infectious disease hospitalizations: a national cross-sectional study.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2021 Mar 24;
- Serum cytokines and growth factor levels in Japanese patients with psoriasis.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2010; 35: 645-649
- Investigation of cytokine levels and their association with SCORAD index in adults with acute atopic dermatitis.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2011; 25: 409-416
- Moderate-to-severe atopic dermatitis patients show increases in serum C-reactive protein levels, correlating with skin disease activity.F1000Res. 2017; 6: 1712
- Inpatient Burden of Prurigo Nodularis in the United States.Medicines (Basel). 2019 Aug 11; 6: 88
Whang KA, Le TK, Khanna R, Williams KA, Roh YS, Sutaria N, Choi J, Gabriel S, Chavda R, Semenov Y, Kwatra SG. Health-related quality of life and economic burden of prurigo nodularis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2021 May 28:S0190-9622(21)01028-8.
- Prurigo nodularis: Pathogenesis and management.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020; 83: 1567-1575
- Pathophysiology, diagnosis, and pharmacological treatment of prurigo nodularis.Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2020; 14: 67-77
- Transcriptomic analysis of atopic dermatitis in African Americans is characterized by Th2/Th17-centered cutaneous immune activation.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 11175
Wongvibulsin S, Sutaria N, Williams KA, Huang AH, Choi J, Roh YS, et al. A Nationwide Study of Prurigo Nodularis: Disease Burden and Healthcare Utilization in the United States. J Invest Dermatol. 2021;S0022-202X(21)01130-01131.
- Investigator's Global Assessment of Chronic Prurigo: A New Instrument for Use in Clinical Trials.Acta Derm Venereol. 2021; 101adv00401
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding Sources: SGK is supported by the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases of the National Institutes of Health under Award Number K23AR077073. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health. Part of this work was also funded by grants to SGK from the Dermatology Foundation and Skin of Color Society.
IRB Status: Approved by the Johns Hopkins Institutional Review Board (IRB00119007).
CONFLICTS OF INTEREST:Dr. Kwatra is an advisory board member/consultant for Abbvie, Celldex Therapeutics, Galderma, Incyte Corporation, Pfizer, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, and Kiniksa Pharmaceuticals and has served as an investigator for Galderma, Kiniksa Pharmaceuticals, Pfizer Inc., and Sanofi.