Abbreviations:BSA (Body surface area), CAT (Computerized adaptive testing), CDLQI (Children’s Dermatology Life Quality Index), DLQI (Dermatology Life Quality Index), EASI (Eczema Area and Severity Index), GRM (Graded Response Model), IGA (Investigator’s Global Assessment), IGA*BSA (The product of the IGA and BSA), IRT (Item response theory), NRS (Numeric rating scale), PIQ-C (PROMIS Itch Questionnaire - Child), POEM (Patient-Oriented Eczema Measure), PROMIS (Patient-Reported Outcome Measurement Information System), SCORAD (SCORing Atopic Dermatis), SD (Standard deviation)
- The burden of moderate to severe atopic dermatitis in Canadian children: a cross-sectional survey.J Cutan Med Surg. 2018; 22: 443-444
- The future of outcomes measurement: item banking, tailored short-forms, and computerized adaptive assessment.Qual Life Res. 2007; 16: 133-141
- Translating patient-oriented eczema measure (POEM) scores into clinical practice by suggesting severity strata derived using anchor-based methods.Br J Dermatol. 2013; 169: 1326-1332
- Association of pediatric atopic dermatitis and psoriasis with school absenteeism and parental work absenteeism: A cross-sectional United States population-based study.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2021; 85: 885-892
- Consensus conference on pediatric atopic dermatitis.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2003; 49: 1088-1095
- The 5-D itch scale: a new measure of pruritus.Br J Dermatol. 2010; 162: 587-593
- The utility of PROMIS domain measures in dermatologic care.Arch Dermatol Res. 2021; 313: 17-24
Fang MM, Nowinski CJ, Lai J, Shaunfield S, Silverberg JI, Rangel SM, et al. Characteristics and impacts of itch in children with inflammatory skin disorders.Br J Dermatol. 2021;184(5):896-904.
- Dermatology Life Quality Index (DLQI) – a simple practical measure for routine clinic use.Clin Exp Dermatol. 1994; 19: 210-216
- Item response theory and health-related quality of life in cancer.Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2003; 3: 783-791
- The eczema area and severity index (EASI): Assessment of reliability in atopic dermatitis.Exp Dermatol. 2001; 10: 11-18
- The global burden of skin disease in 2010: an analysis of the prevalence and impact of skin conditions.J Invest Dermatol. 2014; 134: 1527-1534
- Real-world comorbidities of atopic dermatitis in the pediatric ambulatory population in the United States.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2021; 85: 893-900
- Pruritus assessment tools for 6 to 7-year-old children: KidsItchyQoL and ItchyQuant.Pediatr Dermatol. 2021; 38: 591-601
- Clinical validation and guidelines for the SCORAD Index: Consensus report of the European Task Force on Atopic Dermatitis.Dermatology. 1997; 195: 10-19
- Item banking to improve, shorten and computerize self-reported fatigue: an illustration of steps to create a core item bank from the FACIT-Fatigue Scale.Qual Life Res. 2003; 12: 485-501
- Anorexia/cachexia related quality of life for children with cancer: Testing the psychometric properties of the Pediatric Functional Assessment of Anorexia/Cachexia Therapy (peds-FAACT).Cancer. 2005; 104: 1531-1539
- How item banks and their application can influence measurement practice in rehabilitation medicine: a PROMIS fatigue item bank example.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: S20-S27
- Development of a parent-reported cognitive function item bank using item response theory and exploration of its clinical utility in computerized adaptive testing.J Pediatr Psych. 2011; 36: 766-779
- Parent-reported cognition of children with cancer and its potential clinical usefulness.Qual Life Res. 2014; 23: 1049-1058
- The Children’s Dermatology Life Quality Index (CDLQI): initial validation and practical use.Br J Dermatol. 2010; 132: 942-949
- Assessment of pruritus intensity: Prospective study on validity and reliability of the visual analogue scale, numerical rating scale and verbal rating scale in 471 patients with chronic pruritus.Acta Derm Venereol. 2012; 92: 502-507
- Psychometric evaluation and calibration of health-related quality of life items banks: Plans for the Patient-Reported Outcome Measurement Information System (PROMIS).Medical Care. 2007; 45: S22-S31
Reise SP, Revicki D. Handbook of Item Response Theory Modeling: Applications to Typical Performance Assessment. New York, NY: Taylor & Francis 2014.
Samejima F. The graded response model. In: van der Linden WJ, Hambleton R, eds. Handbook of modern item response theory. New York: Springer-Verlag; 1997: 85-100.
- Development, validation, and interpretation of the PROMIS Itch Questionnaire: a patient-reported outcome measure for the quality of life impact of itch.J Invest Dermatol. 2020; 140: 986-994
- Measurement properties of the PROMIS Itch Questionnaire - itch severity assessments in adults with atopic dermatitis.Br J Dermatol. 2020; 183: 891-898
- Measurement properties of the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System Itch Questionnaire item banks in adults with atopic dermatitis.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020; 82: 1174-1180
- The Validated Investigator Global Assessment for Atopic Dermatitis (vIGA-AD): The development and reliability testing of a novel clinical outcome measurement instrument for the severity of atopic dermatitis.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020; 83: 839-846
- Product of Investigator Global Assessment and Body Surface Area (IGAxBSA): A practice-friendly alternative to the Eczema Area and Severity Index to assess atopic dermatitis severity in children.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020; 82: 1187-1194
US Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for industry. Patient-reported outcome measures: use in medical product development to support labeling claims. December, 2009. https://www.fda.gov/regulatory-information/search-fda-guidance-documents/patient-reported-outcome-measures-use-medical-product-development-support-labeling-claims (last accessed September 24, 2021).
Weir I. Spearman’s Rank Correlation. http://www.statstutor.ac.uk/resources/uploaded/spearmans.pdf. Accessed June 23, 2021.
- Application of computerized adaptive testing to educational problems.J Educ Meas. 1984; 21: 361-375
- Minimally Important Differences were estimated for six PROMIS-Cancer scales in advanced-stage cancer patients.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 507-716
- Cross-European validation of the ItchyQoL in pruritic dermatoses.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2019; 33: 391-397
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
DATA AVAILABILITY STATEMENT:The final PIQ-C package can be found at: www.healthmeasures.net
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
DC - Unpaid board member, PROMIS Health Organization.
All other authors state no conflict of interest.