Abbreviations:AUC (Area Under the Curve), BRAF (B-Raf proto-oncogene), CI (Confidence interval), CNN (Convolutional Neural Network), H&E (Hematoxylin and eosin), FFPE (Formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded), NYU (New York University), ROC (Receiver Operating Curve), ROI (Regions of Interest), TCGA (The Cancer Genome Atlas), WSI (Whole Slide Images), WT (Wild-type)
- The role of BRAF V600 mutation in melanoma.J Transl Med. 2012; 10: 85
- BRAF mutations in cutaneous melanoma are independently associated with age, anatomic site of the primary tumor, and the degree of solar elastosis at the primary tumor site.Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2011; 24: 345-351
- Genetic and morphologic features for melanoma classification.Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2010; 23: 763-770
- Clinical-grade computational pathology using weakly supervised deep learning on whole slide images.Nat Med. 2019; 25: 1301-1309
- Genomic Classification of Cutaneous Melanoma.Cell. 2015; 161: 1681-1696
- CellProfiler: image analysis software for identifying and quantifying cell phenotypes.Genome Biol. 2006; 7: R100
- Classification and mutation prediction from non-small cell lung cancer histopathology images using deep learning.Nat Med. 2018; 24: 1559-1567
- Pan-cancer computational histopathology reveals mutations, tumor composition and prognosis.Nature Cancer. 2020;
- Hover-Net: Simultaneous segmentation and classification of nuclei in multi-tissue histology images.Med Image Anal. 2019; 58: 101563
- Using Machine Learning Algorithms to Predict Immunotherapy Response in Patients with Advanced Melanoma.Clin Cancer Res. 2020;
- Pan-cancer image-based detection of clinically actionable genetic alterations.Nature Cancer. 2020;
- Radiomics Study of Thyroid Ultrasound for Predicting BRAF Mutation in Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma: Preliminary Results.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2020; 41: 700-705
- Distinct clinical and pathological features are associated with the BRAF(T1799A(V600E)) mutation in primary melanoma.J Invest Dermatol. 2007; 127: 900-905
- Distinguishing clinicopathologic features of patients with V600E and V600K BRAF-mutant metastatic melanoma.Clin Cancer Res. 2012; 18: 3242-3249
- Predicting cancer outcomes from histology and genomics using convolutional networks.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018; 115: E2970-E2979
- Imaging-Based Prediction of Molecular Therapy Targets in NSCLC by Radiogenomics and AI Approaches: A Systematic Review.Diagnostics (Basel). 2020; 10
- Color Transfer between Images.IEEE Comput Graph Appl. 2001; 21: 34-41
- Virtual biopsy using MRI radiomics for prediction of BRAF status in melanoma brain metastasis.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 6623
Smilkov D, Thorat N, Kim B, ViÈgas F, Wattenberg M. SmoothGrad: removing noise by adding noise. ArXiv 2017;abs/1706.03825.
- Association Between NRAS and BRAF Mutational Status and Melanoma-Specific Survival Among Patients With Higher-Risk Primary Melanoma.JAMA Oncol. 2015; 1: 359-368
- Deep learning in histopathology: the path to the clinic.Nat Med. 2021; 27: 775-784
- Improving melanoma classification by integrating genetic and morphologic features.PLoS Med. 2008; 5e120
- Methods for Segmentation and Classification of Digital Microscopy Tissue Images.Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2019; 7: 53
- A Practical Guide to The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA).Methods Mol Biol. 2016; 1418: 111-141
- Developing a multidisciplinary prospective melanoma biospecimen repository to advance translational research.Am J Transl Res. 2009; 1: 35-43
- Predicting non-small cell lung cancer prognosis by fully automated microscopic pathology image features.Nat Commun. 2016; 7: 12474
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflict of Interest
AT is a scientific advisor to Intelligencia.AI. Author J.W. is a paid consultant for Merck, Genentech, Astra Zeneca, GSK, Novartis, Nektar, Medivation, Celldex, Incyte, EMD Serono, and BMS.
JW consults for and have received less than $10,000 dollars per annum from Merck, Genentech, Astra Zeneca, GSK, Novartis, Nektar, Medivation, Celldex, Incyte and EMD Serono and $10-25,000 dollars from BMS for membership on Advisory Boards. JW holds equity in CytoMx, Biond and Immunimax. JW is on scientific advisory boards for Celldex, CytoMx, Incyte, Biond, Protean, CV6 and Sellas. JW declares NYU, but not JW personally received research support from BMS, Merck, GSK, Novartis and Astra Zeneca. Moffitt Cancer Center filed a patent on an IPILIMUMAB biomarker that JW is named on, and JW is named on a PD-1 biomarker patent filed by Biodesix.
NC declares - Patent 16/711199 for classification and mutation prediction from histopathology images using deep learning.
IA declares Consultant, Foresite (FL2020-010) LLC.
All other authors declare that they have no competing interests.