Abbreviations:5-HT (5-hydroxytryptamine), ACD (allergic contact dermatitis), AD (atopic dermatitis), AEW (acetone:ether water), CGRP (calcitonin gene-related peptide), CTCL (cutaneous T-cell lymphoma), DRG (dorsal root ganglia), GRP (gastrin-releasing peptide), HTR (serotonin receptor), KC (keratinocyte), KOR (κ-opioid receptor), LTC4 (cysteinyl leukotriene), LTMR (low-threshold mechanoreceptor), miR (microRNA), NP (nonpeptidergic), NPPB (brain natriuretic peptide), PAR (protease-activated receptor), SP (substance P), Th (T helper), TG (trigeminal ganglia), TLR (toll-like receptor)
Neuronal and nonneuronal itch receptors
Organization of murine itch-sensing primary afferent neurons
|NF1/NF2 LTMR (subset)|
|Identifying molecular marker||MRGPRD||MRGPRA3||SST/BNP||TSLPR||TLR5|
|Histamine receptor status||(–)||HRH1||HRH4||(–)||(–)|
|Serotonin receptor status||(–)||(–)||HTR2, HTR7||(–)||(–)|
|TLR status||(–)||TLR3?, TLR7?||(–)||(–)||TLR5|
|IL receptor status||IL4R/IL13R||IL4R/IL13R,|
|TRP status||TRPA1, TRPC3, TRPM3,||TRPA1, TRPV1||TRPA1, TRPV1||TRPA1||?|
|Exogenous pruritogen sensitivity||β-alanine||Chloroquine,|
|?||?||Flagellin, mechanical stimuli|
|Chronic itch participation||ACD||Xerosis, AD||AD||AD||Xerosis, ACD, AD (mechanical alloknesis)|
- Cavanaugh D.J.
- Lee H.
- Lo L.
- Shields S.D.
- Zylka M.J.
- Basbaum A.I.
- et al.
- Cavanaugh D.J.
- Lee H.
- Lo L.
- Shields S.D.
- Zylka M.J.
- Basbaum A.I.
- et al.
Evolutionary conservation of itch neuron anatomy
Neuronal itch initiation
Mechanical itch detection
Neuroimmune and neural‒epidermal mechanisms of pruritogen detection
- Trier A.M.
- Mack M.R.
- Fredman A.
- Tamari M.
- Ver Heul A.M.
- Zhao Y.
- et al.
Mechanism of psoriasis and AD itch
- Silverberg J.I.
- Yosipovitch G.
- Simpson E.L.
- Kim B.S.
- Wu J.J.
- Eckert L.
- et al.
Conflict of Interest
- Pruritus in cutaneous T-cell lymphoma: a review.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012; 67: 760-768
- Pathogen recognition and innate immunity.Cell. 2006; 124: 783-801
- Protease-activated receptors and itch.Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2015; 226: 219-235
- Scratching behavior and Fos expression in superficial dorsal horn elicited by protease-activated receptor agonists and other itch mediators in mice.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009; 329: 945-951
- The TGR5 receptor mediates bile acid-induced itch and analgesia.J Clin Invest. 2013; 123: 1513-1530
- The pseudo-allergic/neurogenic route of mast cell activation via MRGPRX2: discovery, functional programs, regulation, relevance to disease, and relation with allergic stimulation.Itch. 2020; 5: e32
- Dupilumab treatment in adults with moderate-to-severe atopic dermatitis.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 130-139
- Experiments relating to the itch sensation, its peripheral mechanism, and central pathways.Clin Sci. 1938; 3: 377-386
- Mechanisms of desensitization and resensitization of proteinase-activated receptor-2.J Biol Chem. 1996; 271: 22003-22016
- Th2 cytokines and atopic dermatitis.J Clin Cell Immunol. 2011; 2: 110
- Group 2 innate lymphoid cells promote beiging of white adipose tissue and limit obesity.Nature. 2015; 519: 242-246
- Distinct subsets of unmyelinated primary sensory fibers mediate behavioral responses to noxious thermal and mechanical stimuli [published correction appears in Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2009;106:11424].Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2009; 106: 9075-9080
- Improved pruritus correlates with lower levels of IL-31 in CTCL patients under different therapeutic modalities.Clin Immunol. 2015; 158: 1-7
- Epithelia-sensory neuron cross talk underlies cholestatic itch induced by lysophosphatidylcholine.Gastroenterology. 2021; 161: 301-317.e16
- Transcriptional profiling at whole population and single cell levels reveals somatosensory neuron molecular diversity [published correction appears in Elife 2015;4:e06720].Elife. 2014; 3: e04660
- Recognition of viral single-stranded RNA by toll-like receptors.Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2008; 60: 813-823
- Functional relationship between mast cells and C-sensitive nerve fibres evidenced by histamine H3-receptor modulation in rat lung and spleen.Clin Sci (Lond). 1994; 87: 151-163
- LPS sensitizes TRPV1 via activation of TLR4 in trigeminal sensory neurons.J Dent Res. 2011; 90: 759-764
- A diverse family of GPCRs expressed in specific subsets of nociceptive sensory neurons.Cell. 2001; 106: 619-632
- Peripheral and central mechanisms of itch.Neuron. 2018; 98: 482-494
- Spinal circuits transmitting mechanical pain and itch.Neurosci Bull. 2018; 34: 186-193
- The histamine H 4 receptor mediates allergic airway inflammation by regulating the activation of CD4+ T cells.J Immunol. 2006; 176: 7062-7070
- Cutaneous sensory neurons expressing the Mrgprd receptor sense extracellular ATP and are putative nociceptors.J Neurophysiol. 2008; 99: 1581-1589
- Toll-like receptors activation, signaling, and targeting: an overview.Bull Natl Res Cent. 2019; 43: 187
- Dorsal root ganglion neuron types and their functional specialization.in: The Oxford handbook of the neurobiology of pain. Oxford University Press, Oxford, United Kingdom2020: 127-155
- Piezo2 channel–Merkel cell signaling modulates the conversion of touch to itch.Science. 2018; 360: 530-533
- RNA-seq analysis of human trigeminal and dorsal root ganglia with a focus on chemoreceptors.PLoS One. 2015; 6e0128951
- Mast cells in neuroimmune interactions.Trends Neurosci. 2019; 42: 43-55
- MrgX2 is a promiscuous receptor for basic peptides causing mast cell pseudo-allergic and anaphylactoid reactions.Pharmacol Res Perspect. 2019; 6: e00547
- Kallikrein 7 promotes atopic dermatitis-associated itch independently of skin inflammation.J Invest Dermatol. 2020; 140: 1244-1252.e4
- Baricitinib in adult patients with moderate-to-severe atopic dermatitis: a phase 2 parallel, double-blinded, randomized placebo-controlled multiple-dose study.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2019; 80: 913-921.e9
- Histamine H4 receptor stimulation suppresses IL-12p70 production and mediates chemotaxis in human monocyte-derived dendritic cells.J Immunol. 2005; 174: 5224-5232
- Itch mechanisms and circuits.Annu Rev Biophys. 2014; 43: 331-355
- A subpopulation of nociceptors specifically linked to itch.Nat Neurosci. 2013; 16: 174-182
- miRNA-711 binds and activates TRPA1 extracellularly to evoke acute and chronic pruritus.Neuron. 2018; 99: 449-463.e6
- Phospholipase Cbeta 3 mediates the scratching response activated by the histamine H1 receptor on C-fiber nociceptive neurons.Neuron. 2006; 52: 691-703
- Pathophysiology of urticaria.Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2006; 30: 3-11
- International Union of Pharmacology. XIII. Classification of histamine receptors.Pharmacol Rev. 1997; 49: 253-278
- Histamine H4 receptor mediates chemotaxis and calcium mobilization of mast cells.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2003; 305: 1212-1221
- A histamine-independent itch pathway is required for allergic ocular itch.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016; 137: 1267-1270.e6
- Anatomical and functional dichotomy of ocular itch and pain.Nat Med. 2018; 24: 1268-1276
- Mite allergen induces allergic dermatitis with concomitant neurogenic inflammation in mouse.J Invest Dermatol. 2003; 121: 289-293
- Circuit dissection of the role of somatostatin in itch and pain [published correction appears in Nat Neurosci 2018;21:894].Nat Neurosci. 2018; 21: 707-716
- Participation of histamine H1 and H2 receptors in passive cutaneous anaphylaxis-induced scratching behavior in ICR mice.Eur J Pharmacol. 1999; 367: 361-371
- The role of thymic stromal lymphopoietin in the immunopathogenesis of atopic dermatitis.Clin Exp Allergy. 2011; 41: 1515-1520
- Molecular aspects of pruritus pathogenesis in psoriasis.Int J Mol Sci. 2021; 22: 858
- Histamine regulates T-cell and antibody responses by differential expression of H1 and H2 receptors.Nature. 2001; 413: 420-425
- Atopic dermatitis.Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol. 2018; 14: 52
- Role of PAR-2 in Neuroimmune Communication and Itch.in: Carstens E. Akiyama T. Itch: mechanisms and treatment. CRC Press/Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL2014: 215-234
- Treatment of atopic dermatitis with Ruxolitinib cream (JAK1/JAK2 inhibitor) or triamcinolone cream.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2020; 145: 572-582
- TSLP elicits IL-33-independent innate lymphoid cell responses to promote skin inflammation.Sci Transl Med. 2013; 5: 170ra16
- Significance of conversation between mast cells and nerves.Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol Springer Nat. 2005; 1: 65-80
- Molecular and cellular mechanisms of itch in psoriasis.Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21: 8406
- Proteases induce production of thymic stromal lymphopoietin by airway epithelial cells through protease-activated receptor-2.J Immunol. 2009; 183: 1427-1434
- Somatosensory neuron typing with high-coverage single-cell RNA sequencing and functional analysis.Neurosci Bull. 2018; 34: 200-207
- Tick peptides evoke itch by activating MrgprC11/MRGPRX1 to sensitize TRPV1 in pruriceptors.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2021; 147: 2236-2248.e16
- Abnormal osmotic regulation in trpv4–/– mice.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2003; 100: 13698-13703
- IL-33/ST2 signaling excites sensory neurons and mediates itch response in a mouse model of poison ivy contact allergy.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2016; 113: E7572-E7579
- Mechanisms of itch evoked by β-alanine.J Neurosci. 2012; 32: 14532-14537
- Sensory neuron-specific GPCR Mrgprs are itch receptors mediating chloroquine-induced pruritus.Cell. 2009; 139: 1353-1365
- The distinct roles of two GPCRs, MrgprC11 and PAR2, in itch and hyperalgesia.Sci Signal. 2011; 4: ra45
- TLR3 deficiency impairs spinal cord synaptic transmission, central sensitization, and pruritus in mice.J Clin Invest. 2012; 122: 2195-2207
- Toll-like receptor 4 contributes to chronic itch, alloknesis, and spinal astrocyte activation in male mice.Pain. 2016; 157: 806-817
- Toll-like receptor 7 mediates pruritus.Nat Neurosci. 2010; 13: 1460-1462
- Transient receptor potential vanilloid 4–expressing macrophages and keratinocytes contribute differentially to allergic and nonallergic chronic itch.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018; 141: 608-619.e7
- Identification of a mast-cell-specific receptor crucial for pseudo-allergic drug reactions.Nature. 2015; 519: 237-241
- Activation of mast-cell-expressed mas-related G-protein-coupled receptors drives non-histaminergic itch.Immunity. 2019; 50: 1163-1171.e5
- Nociceptor–mast cell sensory clusters as regulators of skin homeostasis.Trends Neurosci. 2020; 43: 130-132
- Mas-related G protein–coupled receptors and the biology of itch sensation.Annu Rev Genet. 2017; 51: 103-121
- Identification of a bilirubin receptor that may mediate a component of cholestatic itch.Elife. 2019; 8: e44116
- MRGPRX4 is a G protein-coupled receptor activated by bile acids that may contribute to cholestatic pruritus.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2019; 116: 10525-10530
- Th2 modulation of transient receptor potential channels: an unmet therapeutic intervention for atopic dermatitis.Front Immunol. 2021; 12: 696784
- Pruritus in cutaneous T-cell lymphomas: frequent, often severe and difficult to treat.Acta Derm Venereol. 2010; 90: 12-17
- Chapter 8: Pruritus in cutaneous T-cell lymphomas.in: Carstens E. Akiyama T. Itch: mechanisms and treatment. CRC Press/Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL2014
- Periostin activation of integrin receptors on sensory neurons induces allergic itch.Cell Rep. 2020; 31: 107472
- Itch-associated response induced by experimental dry skin in mice.Jpn J Pharmacol. 2002; 88: 285-292
- Mediators of chronic pruritus in atopic dermatitis: getting the itch out?.Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2016; 51: 263-292
- Protease activity enhances production of thymic stromal lymphopoietin and basophil accumulation in flaky tail mice.Am J Pathol. 2013; 182: 841-851
- HTR7 mediates serotonergic acute and chronic itch.Neuron. 2015; 87: 124-138
- Role of serotonin in the immune system and in neuroimmune interactions.Brain Behav Immun. 1998; 12: 249-271
- Efficacy and safety of topical JTE-052, a Janus kinase inhibitor, in Japanese adult patients with moderate-to-severe atopic dermatitis: a phase II, multicentre, randomized, vehicle-controlled clinical study.Br J Dermatol. 2018; 178: 424-432
- Cutaneous T-cell lymphoma and pruritus: the expression of IL-31 and its receptors in the skin.Acta Derm Venereol. 2016; 96: 894-898
- The genetics of chronic itch: gene expression in the skin of patients with atopic dermatitis and psoriasis with severe itch.J Invest Dermatol. 2018; 138: 1311-1317
- Sensory neurons co-opt classical immune signaling pathways to mediate chronic itch.Cell. 2017; 171: 217-228.e13
- Identification of a spinal circuit for mechanical and persistent spontaneous itch.Neuron. 2019; 103: 1135-1149.e6
- Serlopitant for psoriatic pruritus: a phase 2 randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020; 82: 1314-1320
- Itch: Cells, molecules, and circuits.ACS Chem Neurosci. 2011; 2: 17-25
- Painful pathways induced by TLR stimulation of dorsal root ganglion neurons.J Immunol. 2011; 186: 6417-6426
- Enhanced excitability of MRGPRA3- and MRGPRD-positive nociceptors in a model of inflammatory itch and pain.Brain. 2014; 137: 1039-1050
- Comparative transcriptome profiling of the human and mouse dorsal root ganglia: an RNA-seq-based resource for pain and sensory neuroscience research.Pain. 2018; 159: 1325-1345
- Cowhage-evoked itch is mediated by a novel cysteine protease: a ligand of protease-activated receptors.J Neurosci. 2008; 28: 4331-4335
- Plant cysteine proteases that evoke itch activate protease-activated receptors.Br J Dermatol. 2010; 163: 532-535
- Redefining the concept of protease-activated receptors: cathepsin S evokes itch via activation of Mrgprs.Nat Commun. 2015; 6: 7864
- Psoriasis pathogenesis and treatment.Int J Mol Sci. 2019; 20: 1475
- Identification of a neuronal receptor controlling anaphylaxis.Cell Rep. 2016; 14: 370-379
- Histamine H1, H 3 and H 4 receptors are involved in pruritus.Neuroscience. 2011; 190: 89-102
- Disinhibition of touch-evoked itch in a mouse model of psoriasis.J Invest Dermatol. 2019; 139: 1407-1410
- BAM8-22 and its receptor MRGPRX1 may attribute to cholestatic pruritus.Sci Rep. 2019; 9: 10888
- The role of neuropeptides in psoriasis.Br J Dermatol. 2006; 155: 876-882
- Animal models of psoriasis—highlights and drawbacks.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2021; 147: 439-455
- Relief of cholestatic pruritus by a novel class of drugs: 5-hydroxytryptamine type 3 (5-HT3) receptor antagonists: effectiveness of ondansetron.Pain. 1995; 61: 33-37
- Ruxolitinib cream has dual efficacy on pruritus and inflammation in experimental dermatitis.Front Immunol. 2021; 11: 620098
- House dust mites activate nociceptor–mast cell clusters to drive type 2 skin inflammation.Nat Immunol. 2019; 20: 1435-1443
- TRPV1 mediates histamine-induced itching via the activation of phospholipase A2 and 12-lipoxygenase.J Neurosci. 2007; 27: 2331-2337
- Identification of a G protein-coupled receptor specifically responsive to beta-alanine.J Biol Chem. 2004; 279: 23559-23564
- Mast cells and sensory nerves contribute to neurogenic inflammation and pruritus in chronic skin inflammation.Front Cell Neurosci. 2019; 13: 422
- Dupilumab treatment results in early and sustained improvements in itch in adolescents and adults with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis: analysis of the randomized phase 3 studies SOLO 1 and SOLO 2, AD ADOL, and CHRONOS.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020; 82: 1328-1336
- IL-31 is produced by the malignant T-cell population in cutaneous T-cell lymphoma and correlates with CTCL pruritus.J Invest Dermatol. 2013; 133: 2783-2785
- Nppb neurons are sensors of mast cell-induced itch.Cell Rep. 2019; 26: 3561-3573.e4
- Substance P and neurokinin 1 receptor are new targets for the treatment of chronic pruritus.Br J Dermatol. 2019; 181: 932-938
- Proteinase-activated receptor-2 mediates itch: a novel pathway for pruritus in human skin.J Neurosci. 2003; 23: 6176-6180
- Localization of histamine H4 receptors in the central nervous system of human and rat.Brain Res. 2009; 1250: 41-48
- A gastrin-releasing peptide receptor mediates the itch sensation in the spinal cord.Nature. 2007; 448: 700-703
- Immunoglobulin E-independent activation of mast cell is mediated by Mrg receptors.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006; 349: 1322-1328
- Efficacy and safety of dupilumab in adults with moderate-to-severe atopic dermatitis inadequately controlled by topical treatments: a randomised, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging phase 2b trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 40-52
- Histamine receptors and their ligands: mechanisms and applications.in: Stein J. Bennett D. Coen C. Dunbar R. Goodwin G. Husain M. The curated reference collection in neuroscience and biobehavioral psychology. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands2016: 1149-1166
- Synaptic glutamate release by ventromedial hypothalamic neurons is part of the neurocircuitry that prevents hypoglycemia.Cell Metab. 2007; 5: 383-393
- IL-33 signaling in sensory neurons promotes dry skin itch [e-pub ahead of print].J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2021; (accessed October 8, 2021)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2021.09.014
- Unbiased classification of sensory neuron types by large-scale single-cell RNA sequencing.Nat Neurosci. 2015; 18: 145-153
- Surgical extraction of human dorsal root ganglia from organ donors and preparation of primary sensory neuron cultures.Nat Protoc. 2016; 11: 1877-1888
- Prevalence and severity of pruritus in cutaneous T cell lymphoma.Int J Dermatol. 2012; 51: 930-934
- Thymic stromal lymphopoietin links keratinocytes and dendritic cell–derived IL-23 in patients with psoriasis.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014; 134: 373-381
- Itch: a paradigm of neuroimmune crosstalk.Immunity. 2020; 52: 753-766
- A basophil-neuronal axis promotes itch.Cell. 2021; 184: 422-440.e17
- Mrgprd-expressing polymodal nociceptive neurons innervate most known classes of substantia gelatinosa neurons.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 13202-13209
- A comparison of the effects of noxious and innocuous counterstimuli on experimentally induced itch and pain.Pain. 1996; 64: 129-138
- Antipruritic effects of two different 5-HT3 receptor antagonists and an antihistamine in haemodialysis patients.Exp Dermatol. 2004; 13: 298-304
- The epithelial cell-derived atopic dermatitis cytokine TSLP activates neurons to induce itch.Cell. 2013; 155: 285-295
- Nociceptors--noxious stimulus detectors.Neuron. 2007; 55: 353-364
- Neurotransmitter and neuropeptide regulation of mast cell function: a systematic review.J Neuroinflammation. 2020; 17: 356
- MRGPRX4 is a bile acid receptor for human cholestatic itch.ELife. 2019; 8: e48431